The University at Buffalo Department of Surgery’s passion for providing extraordinary patient care has generated a trans-disciplinary research and innovation enterprise committed to academic excellence, impactful research, and trans-formative innovation.
Research and Innovation in the Department of Surgery is managed by the Research and Innovation Committee, which is comprised of a diverse membership and meets monthly. The Research and Innovation Committee’s primary goals are to provide support for the Department of Surgery’s investigators, innovators, and trainees and pursue integration of research across disciplines, sites, and researcher types to promote new collaborative thinking.
- Ekaterina Noyes PhD MPH, Epidemiology and Environmental Health, is available to assist Department of Surgery faculty with their research projects including study design and implementation, randomization, sample size and power calculations, data analysis and report writing. The primary aim is to prioritize funded studies and also accommodate unfunded IRB approved projects large or small.
- ECMC-Trauma Surgery has statistical support through the Department of Biostatistics. Contact Jihnhee Yu PhD (email@example.com) for more information.
- External resources include: Peter Elkin MD, MACP, FACMI, FNYAM, Biomedical Informatics, whose group builds cohorts by merging electronic data and performs data analysis. Additionally, the CTRC Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research Design (BERD) core offers limited data analysis and methodology support.
- Dr. Gregory Gudleski (firstname.lastname@example.org). Director, Clinical Research Consulting Lab. Behavioral Medicine Clinic. Department of Medicine (non-surgery projects only). ECMC/F-117 DK Miller Bldg.
Division Research Meetings
UB Surgery Research groups hold monthly meetings for residents and faculty as follows:
|Pediatrics||First Tuesdays of the month 4-5pm||Room 1002 Oishei Children’s Hospital||N/A|
|Transplant||Every Tuesday 12:30-1:30pm||Kayler’s office ECMC 10th email@example.com|
|BGH General Surgery||Quarterly||Buffalo General Hospitalfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|ECMC General Surgery||Every Tuesday 2pm||Erie County Medical Centeremail@example.com|
|Vascular||First Thursdays of the month 9-10am||BGH 7th floor B-7 Conference Room||JCozzo@Kaleidahealth.org|
Research Coordinator Services
Surgery research coordinators provide administrative, regulatory, and grant management support to clinicians conducting surgery-related research in the areas of basic and translational science, clinical trials, and health outcomes. Research coordinators work closely with the CTRC’s Clinical Research Office (CRO) to secure IRB approval, negotiate budgets and contracts, the Office of Research Advancement (ORA) to facilitate grant preparation and with Sponsored Projects Services (SPS) for grant submission. There are 4 surgery research groups (Pediatrics, Vascular, BGH General Surgery, ECMC General Surgery, Transplant), each of which has designated research coordinators as follows:
Mollie O’Brien-Irr MS
Elizabeth Borngraber MS
|ECMC General Surgery|
Judy Wilkins RN MS
|BGH General Surgery|
Mollie O’Brien-Irr MS
Research Grant Writer Services
For assistance with grant writing contact Beth Dolph PhD firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research and Innovation Training Opportunities
We aim to increase educational opportunities by identifying existing opportunities within the CTSI ecosystem and work to leverage advanced communication and information technology to access learning experiences such as:
- UB Clinical and Translational Research Center & CTRC Statistical Workshop
- Surgery Resident Research Basics PDF by Mollie O’Brien-Irr MS: email@example.com
- New York State Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences
- Department of Biomedical Informatics Seminars
- UB’s VP for Research and Economic Development