The Department of Pediatric Surgery, directed by David Rothstein, MD, MS, at the recently-opened John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital, a Kaleida Health facility, is seeking individuals who are looking for a dedicated research experience in areas of Pediatric Surgery. This position offers research opportunities in basic science, translational and clinical research focused on best practices, cost-effectiveness evaluation, and innovations in a wide range of topics (trauma, wound care, minimally invasive surgery, thyroid cancer and vascular anomalies). The research fellow will participate in mentor-directed research and the educational activities within the department. The department consists of a diverse faculty, AAPs, a pediatric surgery fellow, general surgery residents and medical students. Research Fellows may also have some exposure to our clinical service, including opportunities to operate and participate in the senior resident call schedule. Clinical call is required, some evenings and weekends.
This is a 2-year position with openings for 2020 and 2021. Residents interested in a career in pediatric surgery are most encouraged to apply.
Must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in general surgery and be able to obtain a New York State medical license.
Research projects and opportunities focused on
- Pediatric trauma simulation, team training, mass casualty
- Outcomes research using a variety of national databases (NTDB, TQIP, NSQIP, KID, PHIS), as well as the local trauma, thyroid and vascular anomalies databases
- Pediatric burn care
- Pediatric wound care
- Global health (a richly diverse local immigrant/refugee community and a collaborative project in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo)
Participation in department meetings including
- Research meetings: collaborate as one of three research fellows
- Academic teaching conferences: trauma performance improvement and patient safety, grand rounds, journal club, morbidity and mortality, case conference, pediatric surgery fundamentals, solid tumor board, thyroid tumor board, pathology/radiology
Please send a CV, letter of interest and contact information to Dr. David H. Rothstein.